Forward Science Blog
5 Benefits of Having a Mentor
You can never go wrong with reaching out to find a mentor, no matter where you are in your career. At Forward Science, we define a mentor as a trusted advisor and career confidant. Mentors guide, advise, and walk you through difficult decisions in your career.
The Forward Science team highly values mentorship, so some of our staff sat down to discuss the benefits of this type of business relationship.
Five benefits of having a mentor…
1. Constant Encouragement
- A mentor provides encouragement through all circumstances. They push you to be your best self and give tough love when needed, but they will always be there to support you and encourage you to pursue your goals.
- Don’t underestimate the power of positivity and encouragement! Sometimes our career journeys get tough and having a mentor ensures someone will always be in your corner, cheering you on!
2. Straight Shooting
- Although a mentor will encourage you, they also provide honest and realistic feedback.
- Mentors can help you look past your emotions and provide you a logical point of view when making a career decision.
3. Alternative Perspective
- Two perspectives are always better than one. Mentors provide insight, advice, and ideas that you may not have been able to see before.
- Consulting with a second set of ears, eyes, and thoughts is always a good idea when you are making big decisions in your career.
4. Perception Challenge
- Mentors are there to challenge you and ask the hard questions that you are not able to ask yourself. They force you to see outside what is easy and simple and encourage you to dig deeper.
5. Expanded Network
- When working with a mentor, you are opening yourself up to a lot of new connections—their network is your network!
- Mentors help you grow and connect, and you never know-- they might introduce you to someone who will have a great impact on your career in the future.
We believe in the power of mentorship and have personally seen the positive impact it can have on our employees.
Make sure to continue reading our blog for more information like this.